Catalina Spa Filters in Canada
Catalina Spa Cartridge Filters:
Popular filters used in Catalina spas include:
- Pair of 4 5/8″ long filters that have a diameter of 4 15/16″ ea. They have a center hole measuring 2 1/8″ both on the top and bottom. These type are not threaded at the bottom like some Catalina Spas filters. Compatible filter models for these are: Pleatco PRB17.5SF-PAIR, Unicel C-4401, Filbur FC-2386.
- Pair of 6 5/8″ long 25 sq.ft. filters (also 4 15/16″ wide/diamter) that also have top and bottom center holes measuring 2 1/8″ in diameter. Filter models include Pleatco PRB25SF-PAIR, Unicel C-4405 and Filbur FC-2387.
- A 50 sq.ft. filter measuring 13 1/4″ long x 5 5/16″ wide with a handle on top (instead of a hole) but a bottom hole measuring just under 2″ in diameter. Model Pleatco PAT50
If your spa filter has a threaded connection on the bottom that you had to unscrew in order to remove the filter, measure the filter and compare with one of these 3 compatible Catalina Spas filters:
- 6 5/8″ long x 4 15/16″ diameter and 1 1/2″ MPT bottom threaded connector is compatible with PFF25, 4CH22 and FC-2399.
- (SAE thread) 8 1/4″ long x 6″ outer diameter with a handle on top (no hole) and a 1 1/2″ SAE threaded connection on the bottom – 50 sq. ft. filter model Pleatco PWW50P3, Unicel 6CH-940, Filbur FC-0359.
- (MPT threaded version:) 81/4″ long x 6″ outer diameter with a handle on top (no hole) and a 1 1/2″ MPT threaded connection on the bottom – 50 sq. ft. filter model Pleatco PWW50P4
- 10″ long x 5 5/16″ diameter with 1 1/2″ MPT threaded bottom connector is compatible with filter models: PFF50P, 5CH45 and Filbur FC-2401.
- The super long filter that measures 14 13/16″ in length and has a diameter of 6″ with top handle and bottom 1 1/2″ MPT threaded connector is Pleatco PTL60W-P4, Unicel 6CH-60 or Filbur FC-0359
Catalina Swim Spa Filters
Some Catalina Swim Spas use the exact same filter type of other Catalina spas such as the 40- 45 sq. ft. Catalina Spas filter type with following measurements:
|Filter Model||40 sq. ft.|
|Outside Diameter||5 3/4″ – 6″|
|Bottom||1-1/2″ SAE threaded|
Catalina Spas use gate valves (slice valves) in their spas, so be sure they are all the way open before troubleshooting any flow problems that may be related to a clogged or restricted filter.
They do have a purge valve on the plumbing line that allows for purging air without needing to open a pump union in the case of an air pocket inside the plumbing that may be restricting flow. Catalina Spas recommends maintaining water pH between 7.4 – 7.6.
The filter on most Catalina spas is located behind a weir gate and under a filter basket assembly. To remove the weir gate assembly (or skimmer door), pull it up towards you and lift outwards. Then you can access the basket assembly. Slide the basket assembly out and lift it away to remove the filter basket. Under that you will find 2 filter cartridges that may be threaded. You can’t just lift them out, but need to unscrew them counter-clockwise until they are unthreaded and then lift them out.
Catalina also uses other filter types that just require reaching in and pulling the skimmer door toward you, turning a leaf basket and then pulling it up (twist left and then pull up) and also removing a spacer plug.